Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Mrs. Carolan's St. Patrick's Salad


st_pattysalad, originally uploaded by veggiebytes.

I have been welcomed into the Irish family by having the last name Carolan (yes..that's my last name not my first). My husband's family is related to the famous Irish harpist Turlough O' Carolan and probably to creators of Carolans Irish Cream. If I visit the Green Isle I hope to eat lots of colcannon made with kale.

Here's my tribute to St. Patrick in the raw:
The only thing that makes it resemble anything Irish is that it is really green.

St. Patrick's Day Salad
serves 1

1 bowl of baby spinach (green)
1/2 avocado cut into chunks (green)
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds (green)
3 TBSP hemp oil (this is green too)
1/4 cup raisins (use green to make the salad more green!)
1/2 lemon, juice (could use lime, it's green)
1/TBSP agave nectar
1 TBSP sesame seeds

Add everything to a personal size bowl. Mix to make the avocado coat all the spinach. Eat immediately. Recipe can be multiplied easily.
Even your little leprechauns will like this!

No comments: