Monday, November 26, 2007

Red Beans and Rice is Nice

This red beans recipe is a compilation of various recipes online but mostly adapted from Fat Free Vegan Kitchen. I did not have green bell peppers for what people have called the "Trinity" - (onions, bell pepper,celery) and I don't ever cook with onions besides spring ones.
I added some roasted red bell peppers instead.
The kidney beans were soaked overnight, drained and cooked for 1 1/2 hours until soft. Eventually the celery, garlic, and the spices were added. I added lots of thyme for its special flavor. There is also oregano, basil, bay leaf, , paprika, cayenne pepper, vegan Worcestershire, black pepper, sea salt and a drop of liquid smoke. It simmered for 2 hours.
If you have a slow cooker, this would be a great dish to try.
Some Tofurkey Kielbasa sausage was grilled on my cast iron skillet grill for 5 minutes.
Yes, I know Kielbasa is a Polish sausage, but I did add some hot sauce to the tops (not in picture) as an attempt a veggie chaurice. :)
Someday I'll post my veggie muffaleta!

No comments: