Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year!

Well it's 2009 and after a fun Hawaiian vacation without much chance to cook,
I'm happy to be back in my kitchen.
So to bring luck and prosperity for the New Year, I decided to make some vegetarian black-eyed peas (sans hamhock), greens, and some cornbread.
Central Market had some nice fresh black-eyed peas that only take 15 minutes to cook.
Our garden is full of kale, tatsoi, spinach, bokchoy so instead of the traditional collard greens I made a green combo.
For the cornbread, I modified The Vegan Lunchbox recipe sent in by our own VNA members,
Amy and Candace. I just love sweet cornbread and agave nectar is just more affordable than maple syrup nowadays.
I have come to the realization that despite lots of smoked paprika and spices, black-eyed peas are not my favorite legume and next year I will probably not go Southern but with another tradition, from China: Noodles for Long Life.

This year I hope to post at least weekly. I have about 300 photos from last year and only a handful of blog entries, but soon that will change. I look forward to sharing with all of you Nature's bounty and wish you a healthy and happy 2009.

Cristina

No comments: